Tuesday 6 November 2018

Fantasy Footballing

I’ve already written plenty about England’s national sport becoming big business. It’s not just the billion-pound broadcasting rights and sponsorship deals or the sky-high superstar earnings, with all the commercial stresses and strains that go hand in hand. The internet brings global clips and opinions together for all to watch and read; everyone’s a pundit now. The insidious tentacles of betting companies have their suckers around the human suckers who, with a few clicks or taps on their phones, can make Ladbrokes, Paddy Power et al wealthier than ever. “Please bet responsibly”? Per-leaze! 

The weekly ritual of the Pools coupon has been supplanted by games such as Sky’s Super Six. Instead of sweating buckets at 4.40pm every Saturday hoping for our predictions of eight score draws coming true, we now get all clammy in anticipation of six correct scores and the ultimate million-pound jackpot. More realistically, it’s about accumulating more points than anyone else in our little league of friends and family over the course of a season, but it sure sharpens the competitive edge without the need to fork out on weekly stakes.

The increasingly realistic video games like the FIFA XX series sell millions around the world, too. As if we can’t get enough of football reality, we’re also embracing the virtual world. I’m too old to understand the digital malarkey – if only they’d invented it forty years ago – but Angie and I while away hours every week fretting over our Fantasy Premier League squads.

I first became hooked in 1994 when BBC2 first broadcast a live late Friday evening half-hour show, Fantasy Football League, starring comedian David Baddiel and the then little-known Frank Skinner. Dad and I both loved the irreverent humour, with skits and banter bound by a shared love of football, the closing credits accompanied by some atrocious karaoke singing by Skinner’s West Brom hero Jeff Astle.

However an even greater epiphany came one Boxing Day. Uncle David had the Daily Telegraph and, in the dull post-presents lull I happened across a page headed Telegraph Fantasy Football. I was invited to compile a team of individual Premier League players, each accorded different values according to their likelihoods of achieving goals, assists (then an unfamiliar concept!) or clean sheets, subject to a maximum team amount. I couldn’t fill my side with Shearers, Cantonas or Seamans (Seamen?) so I had to apply my knowledge of lesser-known players, making intelligent guesses about who might deliver a deluge of surprise points. I recall Chris Sutton being my first inspired selection.

In the coming several seasons, Dad and I indulged in friendly competition with the acceptably outlay of about a fiver a year. We never bought a Telegraph – we were after all committed Guardian readers – so the town library came into its own. If the Wednesday printed edition wasn’t available, the online version would require investigating. Indeed, Dad probably owed his entire tentative computer literacy to the search for the week’s list of player points.  There was no realistic chance of financial gain but it was immense fun.

That combination of intelligence-based guesswork, simultaneously daft yet deadly serious, continues through my participation in the Fantasy Premier League competition. Angie, Pete and I expend an unfeasible amount of emotional energy tinkering with transfers, substitutions and captaincy changes just for the love of it. Love, and a determination to wrench an advantage. Supporting a club was never this urgent – and I am just one of well over 5 million playing this single game.

To have a chance it helps to get to know every flaming player in the League, and perpetually asking myself questions. Who’s suspended? Who’s injured, and for how long? Who will Pep leave out when De Bruyne returns? Is it worth taking a punt on a cheap Burnley striker? Could I possibly have done this before I took early retirement? The list goes on.

I sometimes wonder whether this would have caught on when I first became ensnared by football’s inescapable net. Instead of swapping cards we’d be indulging in the less sociable pastime of how to afford Best and Osgood without breaking the bank. Football’s a sport you can’t ignore, reality or fantasy, and I look forward to many more years captivated by its spell.


No comments:

Post a Comment