Saturday 16 June 2018

Football - my playing non-career!


There must be few sports as basic as football. The clue’s in the name; all you need is a foot and a ball. I daresay I, like millions of boys before and since, was introduced to the pastime before I could walk. The sphere in question may have been made of fluffy fur, leather or plastic, perhaps a toy small enough for me to hold in a pushchair or a beach ball bigger than I was. With Dad in attendance, having some form of kickabout was an intrinsic part of my childhood for as long as I can remember – and beyond.


 I was very fortunate in that I grew up in a bungalow boasting a long lawn with ample grass on which to fashion a makeshift football – or indeed cricket - pitch. As I matured from, in school parlance, infant to junior, I took advantage of the ‘triangle’, a sizeable expanse of land in the middle of our small village estate where the local boys could recreate Cup Finals or play ‘three and in’, whereby after scoring three goals, you’d have to take in turn in goal. There were two trees at each end of the triangular greensward which served as single goalposts, the pairs completed – in time-honoured fashion - by discarded jumpers or anoraks. Shades of the Fast Show's Ron Manager - "Jumpers for goalposts. Isn't it? Mmmmm"!

The Ingrave school playground or, in the summer months, a small patch of grass adjacent to the climbing frame and swings, also witnessed some earnest games at lunchtimes. On such occasions I could develop not only rudimentary skills but also the all-important notion of teamwork. One winter - I’d have been about eight - I participated in weekly school football practice under the tutelage of Mr Peacock. I realised I was, if not one of the, quickest, strongest or most skilful in my age group, then at least one of the more useful all-rounders. I could spot a pass, perhaps manage to dribble past a defender or two and even score a goal or two. Then, for some reason I have forgotten, or conveniently buried in the deepest dungeon of my memory bank, I missed a few Friday sessions. Wary of incurring Mr Peacock’s wrath, I was too scared to venture back. When I noticed who Mr P picked for the school team, I realised with a rueful sigh: that should have been me.

When I moved to Billericay at the age of nine, I found myself in one of the largest junior schools in Essex. I was nowhere near the standard required to play for Buttsbury Juniors. I’d blown it. I never represented this or any subsequent school at football. My ‘career’ was over before it had started.

It didn’t kill off my enthusiasm for the sport, though. I still wrung enjoyment of playing football, even on the coldest, muddiest mornings or hottest summer lunch breaks at school, and Dad and I would play in our quiet cul-de-sac of Marks Close, in the park on a beach or with one or both football-mad uncles. Catherine was considerably less enamoured of the game and my football-related ill-fortune was magnified by the fact that all six of my cousins were also girls.

In my teens, I was fortuitously granted a belated opportunity to be part of a genuine team, albeit six-a-side. Some boys in neighbouring streets had found themselves a player short and the captain, whose father taught at school with mine, must have in desperation thought of the small ginger kid in Marks Close. So began my Crescent Crushers era.

My introduction to Crusher-hood was mixed. I found that the player I was replacing, because his family were leaving the area, was amazing. He had talent. I didn’t. How could I fill his boots? As things turned out, whilst none of us were particularly good individual players, we somehow gelled as a team. Although I couldn’t tackle to save my life, and would be left for dead by any opponent with a modicum of pace, I turned into a half-decent goal-scoring midfielder: Essex’s answer to Michel Platini or Johan Neeskens. Well, maybe not quite in that class.

We were one of the better sides in our scratch league and even triumphed in a cup final. Though one was promised, I never received my medal. Not that I’m bitter, or anything. Not much! Oddly, the end of the association came in the wake of another Cup tie we won. Drawn against a team of kids a few years younger, it was a ludicrous mismatch. Even I was taller than all our opponents. The factor which led me to leave was our striker’s over-eager determination to leave stud marks on anyone who came close, taking our team name a bit too literally. I felt ashamed being in the same side. Walking away in my boots I knew it was over. I felt – well, crushed. While I bathed in the warm waters of euphoric victory, the sporting pacifist in me was never far from the surface. Unlike Mr Mourinho and his acolytes, I have no desire to ‘win ugly’; I‘d rather not play at all.

At university I hardly participated in any sport, not really fitting in with the boozy football ‘set’. However, a few years later I joined my local Rotaract club. Amongst many other activities, they had a monthly sports hall booking for five-a-side, so I dabbled in some semi-competitive footie for a while. I quickly discovered that I was somewhat out of my depth. At Billericay we had some pretty decent players. At first I was fit enough at least to run around for almost an hour although I was rubbish on the ball. Later on, my engine would swiftly splutter and conk out within minutes. In my thirties, should a game of football appear on the calendar all I could do was channel my Dad’s genes and try my luck in goal. I was less of a liability between the posts and, armed with a rudimentary positioning sense, I might even make a save or two.

So, in terms of Mike Smith on the pitch, that was that. Of course, I have always followed the sport by reading, watching, listening and know I can slip into almost any footie-based conversation without causing myself cringeworthy embarrassment. Just because I believe winning isn’t everything doesn’t mean I’m unable to feel passion for the ‘beautiful game’. It’s not essential to be a partisan supporter. Sometimes you have to sit back and simply admire a pass, a save, a shot, a team performance, even if it’s your team on the receiving end. Read on for my reminiscences of favourite teams, matches, tournaments, players and managers, as well as those who have  driven me up the wall with fury or frustration. Given a certain event in Russia, it seems appropriate to begin with the Mondial, la Coupe de Monde,.... the World Cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment